Sunday, November 11, 2018

MARKIEVICZ


I had intended checking out the Markievicz exhibition in the National Gallery, which I heard was very good. So I took the opportunity to drop in while I was in town.



As it happened I stumbled in on a photo-shoot of one aspect of Amanda Coogan's performance art which accompanies the exhibition.

On another day I might have seen the full cast of 100 girls from a variety of backgrounds commemorating not only Markievicz but the centenary of the extension of the franchise to most women.



Today it's just Amanda. So we'll let her take us around in this short teaser of the exhibition.



As she moves, in slow, slow, motion she evokes memories of the Dice Man, most often seen in Grafton Street in my day.

She is followed by the gaze of a young Markievicz/Gore-Booth from a painting by Casimir Markievicz.



Here she passes the iconic 1901 portrait of Markievicz by Boleslaw Van Szanskowski whom Constance met while in Paris. It was while there that she also met her husband Casimir Markievicz. The exhibition also has a full length portrait of Markievicz painted by him but I prefer Boreslaw, who had a fine eye for women.



Past Casimir's portrait of Markievicz on her death bed. It is a sad picture which pulled me up short. In it she looks like just any old woman. But then she was ill.

Markievicz died in Sir Patrick Dun's Hospital in Grand Canal Street in 1927.

Just in passing, the exhibition has canonised Sir Patrick in the Markievicz timeline in the brochure. I'm sure he was more worthy than some of those up above, but nevertheless!



We'll give Grace Gifford Plunkett the last word with Markievicz making a disruptive entry to the celestial choir, armed to the teeth.

A very interesting exhibition.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Bona fide comments only. Spamming, Trolling, or commercial advertising will not be accepted.