Sunday, October 21, 2018

GORDON BREWSTER ON THE RADIO


Gordon Brewster at his desk

I had the privilege of talking to Patrick Geoghegan this evening (21/10/18) on Newstalk's Talking History show about Gordon Brewster.

In replying to Patrick's perceptive questions I'm amazed at the amount of stuff I managed to get into the 10 minutes or so.

Heartfelt thanks to producer Susan Cahill for taking me in.

Herself and Patrick can feel well rewarded when I say that Gordon's family (grandchildren in England) were very appreciative of this opportunity to bring their long neglected grandfather to public notice once again.

Anyway, with all that said, you can hear my most recent 10 minutes of national fame below:


Item on Gordon Brewster from Podcast of
Talking History on 21 October 2018

Due to time constraints the reference to other cartoonists and to present day use of Brewster's cartoons did not go out in the live broadcast but it is included in the podcast.

To hear the full show, or any of the many other podcasts on the Newstalk site, click on the image below.



Podcast of show broadcast on
Sunday 21 October 2018

Thanks are also due to Felix Larkin for alerting me to the collection of Gordon's cartoons in the National Library of Ireland (NLI) and to Honora Faul of NLI for giving me acces to them and for putting me in touch with Gordon's family.

Thanks to Carol Maddock for the invitation to do a post on Gordon in the NLI's blog, and to Bríd Ó Sullivan for my talk in NLI.

Dermot Quinn sorted me out for the talk virtually outside the Gem in Howth and Máire Kennedy invited me to give the talk in DCLA where some twenty members of Brewster's family and connected persons came over from England to attend.

Thanks to Séamas Ó Maitiú for the opportunity to repeat the talk recently in Rathmines.

Gan dearmad ar Cian Mac Carthaigh agus Cárthach Bán Breathnach i Raidió na Life.

It's slow, but we're getting there.

Thanks to Gordon's family, and in particular to his daughter Dolores who is no longer with us, for support and encouragement.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Bona fide comments only. Spamming, Trolling, or commercial advertising will not be accepted.