Sunday, March 11, 2007

Tarting up or tarting down


I was always taken with the image of the sailor with the sextant, from one of the big sailing ships, below the sign for the Combridge Galleries and above the one for the opticians Murray McGrath, on the corner of Grafton Street and Duke Street, in Dublin city centre.

I took a slide of this in the 1960s which I included in my Ireland show. I showed the slide of the sailor in isolation from his surroundings and asked the audience to guess where it was. Often as not they hadn't a clue.

We don't always look around us as we go down the street and we look up even less.

But if you did have the leisure to cast your eyes upwards - there he was. Still navigating off the wall.

He looked dignified, calm and competent. He knew where he was, where he had come from and where he was going. He conveyed a sense of stability and continuity, not to mention vision - 20/20 that is, and him perched above the opticians and within a brush length or two of some fine visual art.

That's how I remembered him.

--oo00oo--


I was in town the other day. The area around Grafton Street was buzzing. Open air cafés, street traders and buskers all added to the bustling atmosphere.

I passed the way and looked up.

My eyes went up and my heart went down.

Instead of my remembered sailor there was a mere gaudy shadow. My real sailor had been replaced by a modern piece of tack.

His coat was pink and peeling. He was looking at the sextant in his hands as if he didn't know whether to play it, eat it, or poke somebody's eye out with it. He was reduced in stature and had clearly put on a bit of weight - puppy fat maybe. He had lost his bearing as well as his bearings. He knew not whence he came or where the hell he was going. And it didn't really seem to matter. Nothing was expected of him.

Sad to see such tack in a country whose income per head has shot to the stars.

Per ardua ad astra, was the motto of my alma mater.

That was getting there.

But the return journey - a bit more flaky methinks.

7 comments:

  1. Apparently he has now vanished.

    Hopefully just for a cleaning or to be replaced by his predecessor.

    Link

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, do you know where he is please ?
    Murray

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Murray

    Corner of Duke St & Grafton St.

    This link to Google street view should bring you there. You'll see it's the gaudy guy rather than the original.

    https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.3419826,-6.2596891,3a,42.4y,66.83h,103.56t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sTK6FuxaMT1ML5NgL8xHebg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Polo,
    Thanks for the reply.
    I'm actually the son of the owner John Murray O'Keeffe who owned Murray McGrath Opticians.
    I was there last year and it was gone.
    My mother and I asked a lot of people in Baileys pub but got nowhere as to it's whereabouts, sadly, as it had been there since 1911.
    You mentioned the piece that was there was not the original, how do you know this as this is new to us ?
    Has it been returned back or do you know where it is or can find out please ?
    Thanks
    Murray

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Murray

    Unfortunately I'm only a street observer with no inside knowledge. What I wrote above is based on personal observation.

    The photo at the top of the post is a detail from a slide I took sometime in the 1960s and is what I consider the original as it was what I first saw.

    The second is a photo I took in 2007 by when he had been replaced by an inferior version. I have no idea when this took place.

    The replacement was clearly there up to May/June 2014 as seen in the Google Street View I linked to in my comment above which is timestamped May 2014 and in the post by Ghostsigns in June 2014, linked to in my first comment. I hadn't noticed the Street View timestamp when I posted the link.

    Ghostsigns comments in June 2016 that it had vanished and I reflected that in my comment above of July 2016.

    Beyond this chronology I can't help much as I'd love to.

    I'll put out a call on Twitter and see if I get any response. If I do I'll post the result here. Feel free to give me an email address via a DM (@irlpol) if you're on Twitter.

    Pól

    ReplyDelete
  6. https://twitter.com/irlpol/status/1261925900242821121

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Pol,
    Thanks for the info and understand your position.
    Baffled why they would change to a replica statue, we thought it was just wear and tear.
    That would be great if you can put a call out on Twitter, I'm not on myself sorry.
    I have a feeling they may have thrown the statue in the dump, maybe because of a health and safety matter as people might be sitting out under it from the Baileys pub.
    Anyway sad to not see it there, but thanks for the chat and you can email me on murrayokeeffe@yahoo.com.au if you have any luck :)
    Best wishes
    Murray

    ReplyDelete

Bona fide comments only. Spamming, Trolling, or commercial advertising will not be accepted.