Saturday, January 20, 2024

BOOK: THE COLLEGE OF EUROPE 1948-1998

Click on any image for a larger version

I had heard there was a book on the history of the College of Europe, so when I was there for the 40th anniversary of my graduation I enquired about it. "Sure, I think we have a second copy, I'll go and check." I don't know if they were going to sell or give it to me, no matter. I was dying to read it. But no, just like the Album/Yearbook of my original stay, it couldn't be found.

Then, the other day I Googled it, and lo and behold, there it was. Scanned by the College up to its website and downloadable.

The wait was unfortunate, but certainly worth it. It is a remarkable book, extremely well researched and very well written. I found it fascinating and full of resonances. I was there just short of the middle of the fifty year period covered by the book. Before me was the College in formation and after me its developement to close to today's model.

Residence: Sint-jakobsstraat 41

The book stresses the benefits and impact of living together. In my day we all lived in a single residence, including the Rector. But then we were only 54 students. By 1998 there were around 250, but the College wisely spread these around a number of residences in the city. One big residence would decrease intimacy and a sense of community.

The red line is my year.


The male:female balance seems to have improved since my day. We were males 4:1 females. By 1998 this had significantly evened out, but with females in the ascendant.

Jan Tinbergen. Flying Professor & Nobel Prize Winner

A serious lesson learned in the early days was that then you could not assemble a top quality resident academic staff because simply there was nowhere to go. In a bigger institution you could hope to work your way up the food chain but not there. So reliance was placed on the "flying professor" corps. A large number of professors/lecturers were recruited as visiting academics. So, you got the cream of universities, and even the EC administration, passing through and shedding their knowledge. Even my friend and co-Comenien(ne) Dame Helen Wallace gets a mention for being part of this corps. (P.45)

And the idea of Academic Assistants was gaining ground along the way. These would be students who were employed immediately after graduation to help the student body and manage the "flying corps", keeping their feet on the ground, so to speak, and ensuring they observed consistency with College policy and content in their teaching. Jacques Chabert was one of those in my year (P.46). It was Jacques who gave me the words of "La Charlotte" which could be rendered as a bawdy rugby song or a tragedy in the style of Racine's "Andromaque".

Click on image for a larger version

This table shows the numbers and national composition of students during each five years over the period. I noted that there was one Irish before me (Desmond Murphy, 1963/4) but I'm fairly sure he was not financed by the Irish state as I was. So I think my claim to have been the first "official" Irish student probably still holds. (P.129)

Dining room - Sint-jakobsstraat

The College has retained its language policy from its foundation. Students are expected to be more or less fluent in English and French. There had been pressure from the Germans to add German but the view was that requiring three languages would be too much, and God knows, how would you ever get the French to drop French. I can tell you from my later EBRD experience that they'd prefer to pay a visit to Madame La Guillotine. There was also pressure at one stage to add Flemish but acquiring this would be a transitory advantage at best. Both German and Flemish (Dutch) can be learned or perfected in the language lab these days. In my year the German students generally sat at a separate table to draw attention to their ambitions for the language.

Eventually the College started awarding degrees. David McWilliams, for example, got his MA there. But initially at least this idea was blocked by the universities who didn't want to be upstaged. In my day you just got a Certificate in Advanced European Studies. I think, if you managed to stay on for a second year you got a Diploma. The book makes it clear that the College valued its independence and it pursued this over degree-awarding capacity over the years.

I was surprised to read that the "Bruggeling, Honoris Causa" practice was introduced during this period. I had thought it a later addition. The idea is marketed as "Honorary Bruges Citizenship" and is awarded to every graduating student each year. I, who predated the practice, applied for a retrospective award of "Honorary Bruges Citizenship", only having to grovel when it was pointed out to me in no uncertain terms that there had only been six awards of actual Honorary Bruges Citizenship in the history of the City, and these included the first founder-Rector of the College and the General who liberated Bruges after WWII. So what was this thing then? It was patiently explained to me that it was simply a souvenir piece of paper on which the City of Bruges recognised that you had resided there for an academic year. So now you know.

Three of my Professors:
Lory (history), Brugmans (l'Idée Europénne), Kormoss (Geography)

And how would I describe the College. Well the nearest I can get is an EC/EU Seminary. It's not like a university where you would expect a diversity of views right across the positive-negative spectrum. It is a training ground for missionaries for the "European (EU) Idea".

Click on image for a larger verson.

There is a handy chronological list of Promotions with corresponding student numbers. (P.210/11)

On my return from my fiftieth anniversary trip I set up a blog with posts describing my own academic year in the College in 1967/8.

While I was in Brugge for that anniversary I spent most of my waking hours taking photos of Brugge 2018, visiting places I had omitted while I was there at the College fifty years before. I set many of these out in a separate blog with commentary.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for posting this, and the link to the book, Pól. Although I was there after you, it was still under the 'old regime', with a relatively small group of students who all lived together in Saint-Jacobstraat. I am sure you are right that this is one of the most important aspects of the College. Because we were together literally 24/7, we formed ad esprit de corps which, in my promotion at least, has been maintained through all the years since.

    And I'm not sure I had entirely appreciated the importance of the 'flying professor': that approach not only gave the College access to high-quality teaching, but also gave it a ready-made network that reached out quite a long way. In fact I first heard of the College because Jacques van Damme was my external examiner when I studied 'Common market law' (as it was then called) at the University of Edinburgh.

    It's critically important that, despite all the enlargement, the College retains a real belief in Europe, and a focus on its purpose. One of the first things the College did when my promotion arrived was to put us all into a couple of buses and take us to the battlefields of the Somme. One of the military cemeteries has a room whose internal walls are covered in brass, with the names of all the men buried there inscribed letters 1/4 in high. It brought home the staggering loss of life very harshly
    . And M. Lory, who was standing next to me, said to me quietly but fiercely, 'Remember. This is what it's all about. Forget about how many decibels of noise a hoover emits. Forget about how high the foam on a glass of beer can be. THIS is what it's about. This must never happen in Europe again. Never.'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi. It's good to hear from someone who was at the College that far back. Yes, the "never again" spirit was very alive then and it gave the College its motivation at the time. There was a great esprit de corps and a sense of family built up during the year. Like you, I have retained contact with some of my classmates and was back for my 40th & 50th anniversary.
      It's also nice to have a comment on my blog post. They are few and far between and particularly welcome. I write for myself but it's nice to know there is someone (or two or three) out there reading it.
      Best regards.

      Delete

Bona fide comments only. Spamming, Trolling, or commercial advertising will not be accepted.