Wednesday, July 06, 2022

DUBLIN CANVAS

Click on any image for a larger version

I have tweeted almost daily about my morning walks, titling the tweets "MENTAL HEALTH WALK" because in addition to the actual physical exercise the walk frees up my brain to start the day.

One of the sights I see every morning on my walk is Dublin Canvas. This is a scheme promoted by the local authority which gets people to paint the otherwise grey traffic light control boxes. There's one at every set of traffic lights and these are now slowly becoming pieces of local art.

So I'm going to take you on a tour of those I encounter on my morning walk.

The squirrel above is the latest to be completed. I came across Susan just as she was putting the finishing touches to it. She told me the template had originally been designed with a location a little closer to St. Annes Park, which is full of squirrels, in mind but this box at the junction of Foxfield Rd and Howth Rd became available.


Well, on my way back to my house which is nearby, what did I see but this. A wee squirrel sitting up in the middle of the road. Now I know it is a grey and not a red squirrel, but the latter have more or less been driven out by the former over the last few years. In any event, Susan needn't have worried about the location of the box for her squirrel.


This is an unimpeded view of the finished box.


The next box is at the local library and is also by Susan. It had originally shown the Raheny millennium clock painted by Michael Gaffney. While admiring the rabbit I was originally put out at the disappearance of Michael's work which had strong connection with the site, but I learned that the local authority considers these works temporary. They are expected to last a minimum of a year after which they can come up for renewal. I know a few in town that have been there for years, so I don't know how this rotation is managed.


This is outside the RC church of Our Lady, Mother of Divine Grace, and it has a very specific reference to nearby St. Anne's Park.


This one is down in the centre of the village.


Situated at the junction of Main Street and Watermill Road, this is located close to where the lollipop lady lets the school kids cross the road. It is not far from the national schools and Manor House girls' secondary.


This is at the other end of Watermill Road, close to the sea and the Tree of Wildlife.


Finally, a virgin box at Blackbanks. It looks a pretty cool grey which makes me think this may be an undercoat for something to come. If it does I'll include it here.

Hope you enjoyed the tour.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Bona fide comments only. Spamming, Trolling, or commercial advertising will not be accepted.