Friday, September 21, 2012

On the Fiddle


I could have been Bob Dylan, but then I wouldn't be able to play the harmonica, or the mouth organ as it was vulgarly known in my day. I could even have been Joan Baez, but the gender transition might have been painful.


I could have been Bill Clinton, but then I would have had to sleep with the harridan, initially at least.


So I am glad I opted for the Fritz Kreisler route. It has brought me lots of fulfilment and variety in my life. I have played in the Workman's Club with a well known and talented accompanist (above). I have "entertained" the orphans in Stanhope Street convent on many a Stephen's Day. I have played the Francis Xavier and Father Mathew Halls. I have twice played for President de Valera and Sinéad, in the Coláiste Mhuire and Gate theatres. I have made a record in Billy McBurney's studio in Central Belfast during the height of the Troubles. I have even appeared on RTÉ television, no less (below). And all with the fiddle in hand.


So to hell with the international circuit and the crashes and the comebacks. There's no place like home when you're on the fiddle.

<cue music/>


No comments:

Post a Comment

Bona fide comments only. Spamming, Trolling, or commercial advertising will not be accepted.