Tuesday, November 15, 2016

JOB OXO


Click any image for a larger version

There I was, walking past the GPO, on the Clery's side of the road when I saw this. "What" I wondered "is going on here?"

Were they doing a retake of the The Spy Who Came In From The Cold? It certainly had resonances of the modern Checkpoint Charlie with its fake soldiers. Except this was the GPO and not McDonald's in the background.



Then it struck me. I have been complaining for years about the flying of the national flag after dusk and boring people with the tale of the soldier who used to pass through my office in Government Buildings every day to take the flag down from the roof.

Well it's happening again, in front of my eyes. Halleluia. These are real soldiers and they are about to take the flag down from its pole at dusk.



This is something that every child in the nation should be brought to see. It should be on the tourist trail. After all, people line up to see the changing of the guard at Buckingham Palace, don't they?



The flag is carefully unclipped from its moorings. And just by the way, be thankful you can't fly the tricolour upside down, though I once saw a video of a Yank having a go at it.



The flag is ceremonially folded ...



... and draped over the NCO's arm. And off they go, to return at dawn.



Sign of a job well done and full marks to the defence forces for once again showing us all how to respect the national flag.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Bona fide comments only. Spamming, Trolling, or commercial advertising will not be accepted.